The East Valley region of Phoenix by the foothills of South Mountain is where you’ll find Ahwatukee. Also known as Ahwatukee Foothills, this blissful community is one of Phoenix’s 15 urban villages, along with Deer Valley, Paradise Valley, and Encanto.
This urban village offers excellent schools, wonderful weather, breathtaking landscapes, and miles of trails. Its secluded location gives the community a small-town feel. However, residents still have access to urban amenities with the cities of Tempe, Mesa, Gilbert, and Chandler just a short drive away via Interstate 10.
History of Ahwatukee
There are several theories regarding the origin of the community’s name. One theory involves William Ames, a wealthy dentist from Chicago. He built an estate in the area in 1920 and named it Casa de Sueños (“House of Dreams”).
After his death, the estate was sold to Helen Brinton, a native of Dixon, Illinois. Fascinated with the Crow tribe of the Northern Plains, Brinton tried to translate House of Dreams into the Crow language. While she miserably failed at translation, the name, Ahwatukee stuck as ownership changed hands. This name remains the same up to the present.
Real Estate in Ahwatukee
Ahwatukee has a wide variety of real estate options to choose from such as single-family homes, golf course homes, mountain homes, condominiums, and townhouses. Luxury homes for sale in this Phoenix, AZ community come in different architectural styles such as rambler-ranch, Tuscan, and Spanish.
Notable neighborhoods in Ahwatukee include:
- Ahwatukee Equestrian Estates
- Camelot Ridge
- Canyon Estates
- Fairways at the Foothills
- Terraces at Mountain Park Ranch
- The Sanctuary
- Silver Creek
- Tapestry Canyon
- Vintage Hills
Lifestyle and Attractions in Ahwatukee
- Ahwatukee offers many ways to stay fit and healthy. South Mountain Park, a 17,000-acre desert preserve, is the best place to go for hiking, mountain biking, and horseback riding. For those who want to go for a swim, play a game of tennis or join a fitness class, the Ahwatukee Community Swim and Tennis Center offers just that.
- Ahwatukee also has several golf courses for the avid golfer. The Ahwatukee Country Club, in particular, features a challenging 6,713-yard, par-72 golf course designed by legendary golf course architect John Bulla. Other great golf courses in and around Ahwatukee are the Foothills Golf Club, the Arizona Grand Golf Resort, and the Legacy Golf Club.
- Since 2004, the urban village has hosted the famous Ahwatukee Chili Cookoff. This two-day event, endorsed by the International Chili Society, is held in the Ahwatukee Community Swim and Tennis Center. Apart from the countless pots of chili to partake of, the event also has food and drink stalls, music, and carnival rides.
Buy or sell your Ahwatukee, Arizona home with the Carol Royse Team, a group of highly-experienced Realtors who are dedicated to helping clients reach their real estate goals. Get in touch with the team today 480.776.5231 or carol(at)carolroyse(dotted)com
The Carol Royse Team also specializes in Utah real estate. So if you are thinking about purchasing a Utah home or putting one in the market, please do not hesitate to call at 801.803.6211.
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.